Real Food for Real Life

Sunday, January 24, 2010

A meatloaf that even kids love...

When I was at Kroger on Friday I lucked into 1 lb. packages of ground turkey for 89 cents, so I grabbed six, three for the freezer, and three for a meatloaf. The meatloaf I had in mind was one that I make when I can get ground turkey on the cheap, and is a recipe adapted from one my mother-in-law gave me years ago. The original recipe calls for an equal mix of ground beef, pork, and veal, but I have never made it this way. I have always used ground turkey and have simplified the recipe somewhat. This meatloaf has always been a hit with the kids, and Christopher has been known to request it. In fact, I caught some grief yesterday (the day I had intended to make it) from the boy, but he was somewhat placated by getting to choose what we would dine upon instead. This meatloaf sneaks some veggies in as well, so is an easy way to get the kiddos to eat something good for them without too much complaint. I am going to give you the original quantities, but I usually double this one with the intention of having meatloaf sandwiches for the week (good warm or cold, and the cooking time is the same). We had this meat loaf with steamed broccoli (super easy in the microwave), and a mix of whole-grain brown and wild rice. This rice mix is available in the "health food" section at Kroger, and is so tasty it doesn't need anything added to it beyond a little salt in the cooking water.

All-American Turkey Loaf

1 & 1/2 lbs. ground turkey (I find the cello packs from the meat department more satisfactory than the frozen 1 lb. rolls)
1 med. onion, finely diced
1 lg. carrot, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 eggs
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (see 11/18/09 post)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
2 & 1/2 tsp. dry mustard (I have substituted regular yellow mustard here in a pinch, but the dry is much better)
2 tsp. dry rosemary, crumbled
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
salt & pepper to taste (be generous)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. (Normally I would completely cover the sheet but this was the last of my roll). In a large bowl mix everything, except the turkey, together well. Add the turkey and mix to just incorporate. Form the mixture into along, low, and wide loaf shape on the pan (this time I tried making the loaf about bread width, but the the turkey is soft and the loaf spread anyway so don't bother). Bake for 30 minutes and remove from the oven. The turkey will have released some juices, just soak these up with paper towels and dispose of. Brush the loaf with a mix of:

3 tbs. ketchup
2 tbs, brown sugar
1 tbs, dry mustard

Return to the oven and bake for another 1/2 hour. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. The loaf may have released more juice that collects around the base, just blot this up with a paper towel and dispose of it.

Easy Steamed Broccoli (and other veg)

Rinse a head of broccoli, leaving water clinging to it. Cut the broccoli into spears (this is not only tasty, but more economical than just using the florets). Place into a lidded microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 5 minutes. Remove immediately or the broccoli will overcook. Dress with salt, butter, or whatever (we usually just eat it plain).  This technique works for just about any veg, and the 5 minutes is a good guideline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...