Real Food for Real Life

Thursday, June 24, 2010

And next up is...Toronja

Toronja (Grapefruit)
photo courtesy of Jarritos

In Mexico it is much more common to drink a cocktail made with grapefruit juice or soda (a Paloma) than with lime juice (the "traditional" Margarita).  Go figure that we associate an "American " favorite (we are all Americans after all) so strongly with Mexico, just like we celebrate Cinco de Mayo (the date of a relatively minor battle against the French), rather than Mexivo's true Independence Day of September 16th (freedom from Spain!).  Oh well, I digress...In a no brainer, I decided to use the bottle of Toronja/Grapefruit soda to make this cocktail.  Again. Chris and I did a taste test of the soda on its own, and both of us found it to be very pleasant (and I'm not a big soda drinker)...I could seriously drink this soda on its own an enjoy it (everything in moderation).  I mixed up the cocktail and just said "Wow," this is pretty darn good!  This complimented the Lemon Lime Chicken Tacos we had for dinner last night perfectly...give this a try, it is seriously good...

Paloma Cocktail

2 oz. tequila blanca (silver)
1/3 to 1/2 bottle Jarritos grapefruit soda
1 big juicy lime wedge

Fill a 10oz. glass with ice, squeeze the lime wedge over the ice and drop into the glass.  Pour the tequila over the ice and top with the grapefruit soda.  Sit back in a scenic location (I like my deck) and be transported to Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...