Real Food for Real Life

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

No more bananas, please...

Christopher making a batch of banana bread.

For the scout training event we had weekend before last, I had purchased enough fruit for 40 adults.  This was great, except that they forgot to set it out for breakfast and BUNCHES of bananas ended up coming back home with me. I ate bananas every day until I felt like I had them coming out of my ears.  Come Saturday and there were still 16 (!) on the counter, and their state of ripeness dictated that they had to be used NOW.  Christopher wanted banana bread so I found a recipe that would use six (the most I could find) and set the boy to work making the bread himself.  Chris did a fine job, doing everything himself and loved the results all the more for having made the bread himself.  The bananas we had left I froze and will use in future smoothies (also one of the boy's favorite things to make).

Banana Bread
adapted from the Pfaltzgraff Collector's Cookbook
 1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten
6 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional, we did not use)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Thoroughly mix the wet ingredients, to include the baking powder and salt.  Add the flour and mix to just combine.  Pour into 2 greased loaf pans ans bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the loaves test done.

Kitchen Tip...

Did you find bananas on sale dirt cheap, or just have a few too many around that you don't want to spoil?  Peel the bananas and freeze individually on a lined baking sheet.  Once frozen solid, just pop them into a freezer bag for future use.  Thaw and mash as many as you need for your favorite recipe, or use frozen in smoothies.

2 comments:

  1. that looks great Mary....I should really make banana bread from scratch as it is so easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris actually made this himself, I just supervised. He's only 10. so it is pretty easy :) He has been eating this for breakfast all week and is pretty pleased with himself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...