Real Food for Real Life

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A post postponed...

Sausage and Broccoli Pasta

Okay, so yesterday's plan to make my first dish using Jarritos soda was a bust...I went to light up the gas grill to find the tank empty, as was the spare in the garage (why do we have a spare if it is empty?)...we had errands to run after dinner, we were all hungry, and I didn't feel like coming up with an alternate cooking plan, so we ended up at LaRosas eating za...ate least it tasted good.  I'll have to get those tanks filled and try again this eve...

In the meantime, I'd like to share a super simple pasta dish I made a while back.  This dish is so simple that it could easily become a weeknight staple, especially since it would be so easy to add some other veg to the saute, and the type of sausage used is only limited by what you happen to have on hand.  This made a lot of food and I was able to eat lunch from it for a few days.

Sausage and Broccoli Pasta
1 14-16 oz. box sturdy pasta shape 
     (I used a whole grain penne)
1 head of broccoli, cut into bit sized florets
     (I really cheated this and had a bag of prepared fresh broccoli)
1 12-16 oz. pkg. sausage limks 
     (I used a precooked Italian sausage with sundried tomatoes)
10 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible
coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
a big pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
grated Parmesan, or similar cheese, to serve

Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli during the last few minutes of cooking; drain, reserving about a cup of the cooking liquid.  Slice the sausage links thinly and brown in a large saute pan, adding the garlic, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes (if using), during the last few minutes of cooking.  This process will take longer if using a fresh sausage, but not too long since you have sliced it up.  Don't worry about draining off any fat unless it seems like you have a lot- if using precooked sausage this should not be an issue at all.  Toss the drained pasta and broccoli in the pan (or large serving bowl) with the sausage, adding some cooking liquid if it seems dry.  Serve with grated Parmesan cheese,

1 comment:

  1. Valuable info. Lucky me I found your website accidentally, and I'm stunned why this accident didn't took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
    My website :: Organic Coffee with Ganoderma Lucidum from Organo Gold

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...