Real Food for Real Life

Thursday, January 20, 2011

For the garlic lovers out there...


I love Rick Bayless and his take on Mexican food.  I''d been watching recorded episodes of his show Mexico: One Plate at a Time (I do love our DVR )and savoring every moment, but when he made mojo de ajó I knew I had to make it too.  Mojo de ajó is basically a sauce made of garlic roasted in olive oil and it is also used used as the base for many other recipes.  This made two pint jars that I stowed in the fridge and used for the next few weeks to season many wonderfully tasty dishes.

Mojo de Ajó

4 heads garlic, peeled, cloves left whole

2 cups olive oil (don't use your extra virgin here)
1 tsp. coarse salt

Bake in a small covered dish at 325 degrees for 50 minutes.  Add...

juice of one lime 
1/2 tsp. (or more) of crushed red pepper flakes.

Bake for another 20 minutes and allow to cool before mashing well.  Stored in the refrigerator this is supposed to last one month, but if you're anything like me it won't last that long.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm certainly a garlic lover! I once had a very Irish looking friend who was married to a very Italian looking guy. She often said, "I swear, he'd love it if I rubbed garlic on me for perfume!" I'll be trying this as a new staple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, we all love garlic here and this is a definite staple now. Tomorrow I'll have a few of the things I've done with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...